As part of the 8th Pillar of Health - Gut Health, we've been looking into nutrient-rich foods that can help support and restore the health of our gut. Research has proven that most diseases can be traced back to an unhealthy gut, which is why maintaining a healthy gut is so important.
- 3 tbsp gelatin (we use the Great Lakes gelatin brand, the orange container)
- 1-2 tbsp honey
- 1C boiling water
- 1 1/2 C cold water or natural fruit/vegetable juice for colour (see below)
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2-3 tbsp freeze-dried strawberry powder (optional, but highly recommended! We used Fresh-As brand)
- Put gelatin and honey in a small pan with boiling water over a low heat until dissolved.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl, add cold water and vanilla.
- Beat with electric whisk for 15 minutes. (put the bowl in the sink as it tends to splatter out the sides of the bowl as you beat).
- When the marshmallow is extremely thick and beginning to be almost firm, pour into a 30 x 20cm dish. Beating it for longer than 15 minutes will make a ‘stiffer’ marshmallow.
- Sprinkle the fruit powder over the top and gently stir through to create swirls if you want.
- Rest at room temperature for at least four hours (overnight is best).
You can substitute the cold water for fresh unsweetened vegetable or fruit juice to change the colour of the marshmallow. Either use freshly squeezed juice or a brand that doesn’t use added sugar or isn’t made from concentrate.
You will need to reduce the amount of honey you use to prevent it being too sweet. We love to use beetroot and apple juice, the juice from blended and strained blueberries or unsweetened cranberry juice (don’t reduce the sweetener if using unsweetened cranberry juice!)
You can also layer the marshmallow with gelatin gummies. Simply prepare the gelatin gummies in a square container and let set in the fridge until hard. About 10-15 minutes. In the meantime, make your marshmallow then layer over the top of the set gummy layer.
Remember to share your delicious creations with us at @evewellnessco_